A day at the zoo!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Letting Go.....

There comes a time in every mothers life where she just has to let go...

I knew this, I was ok with this and I told myself I would be ok.  Well that time is now and I know it needs to be done so that my son can grow and be a great adult but I am so sad. I just wanna freeze time and keep him a little longer. I know, nuts..haha. 

I was going to meet my son at the MEPS station in Fort Lee, VA. 30 minutes before I got there He was in the office picking his job. I was suppose to be there for that.He called me with his choices: Machinist Mate, Cook on a sub or Bosons Mate (ya I can't spell it-ha).  Well CS (cook) was out. He did not want on a sub. BM is out, he's never heard anything nice about that rate so he was left with MM. He doesn't know anything about this job except it's hot and a lot of work.
 He missed MA (Master at Arms) by a point. He would have rather had that job. He was devastated. He said to the lady "Are you serious? I can't fix a car and you want me to fix a ship?" I laughed when he told me that. He said the the lady told him his scores were really high when it came to fixing pieces and sorting and asked him if he worked on cars and he said "no, I played with Lego's"-hahaha!!He really wanted something in computers. So I asked him if he was ready to go in and he said yes. So he took the MM spot with plans of cross rating in the future. Well he goes to boot camp the 21st of this month.  I was shocked but I was ok with it. I told myself that as a good mother I had to let him grow and that he needed this, he was ready.
I was talking to his recruiter and it hit me...He won't be home for his dad's Homecoming. And his dad will  be underway when he graduates so he will not be here when our son graduates boot camp. I lost it and cried the rest of the way up to Fort Lee. I just balled my eyes out. With his dad not being home I may not get to see our son graduate from boot camp either. I have no clue what I am going to do. I guess I will wait and see what happens. If I can't go then I know my dad will go and at least my son won't be alone and my dad can take lots of pictures for me.
So his next dilemma...School. His last classes are the 26th and he leaves a week before. So he's off to talk to his teachers to see if they can accommodate him. I know they will work with him. He's always been a good student.
God has a plan for us all. Sometimes it takes a little more work than others but thankfully my sons wait is over for phase one of his adult life.

I know I can do this. I fully support my son. I just wish that he and his dad weren't missing each other for these big events. And that I could keep my little boy a little boy. But no, he had to grow up. I am very proud of my son and I know he will be a great Sailor.
So for now I will cry but I will also be happy for him. He made the decision he needed to make and now is off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment