A day at the zoo!

Friday, August 16, 2013

Kids In The Kitchen


I found this recipe some where online and I am dying to try it. It's the best of both worlds! Cinnamon rolls and blueberries. 

I have decided to make it a kids in the kitchen day. Let them all help out making yummy rolls. Yes, it gets a little harry when they are all in my kitchen and then everyone wants to lick the bowl! But I think I will enjoy it, be a little frazzled and take lots of pictures. Regardless it will be lots of fun and the kids will have the time of their lives.

Does anyone else out there have their kids in the kitchen? I actually think it's important. It gives you that bonding time as well as teaching your kids how to cook. And they can say "my mom/dad taught me how to make..." I know that when I tell my kids my parents taught me to make something, it's a pretty special feeling to be able to say that and then pass on what you were taught.

So I am going to give this recipe a try tomorrow (I hope) and then I will share the results with you.


Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls
Yield: makes 24

Ingredients:


For the Dough
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
4 cup flour
1/2 cup flour
1/2 heaping tsp baking powder
1/2 scant tsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp salt

For the Blueberry Filling
1 pint blueberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 cup water

Additional Blueberries for Sprinkling
1 pint blueberries
2 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp flour
1 batch Cream Cheese Frosting


Directions:


For the Blueberry Filling
In a small saucepan, combine 1 pint of the blueberries, sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon juice and water. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until mixture begins to thicken slight. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

For the Dough
Mix whole milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan. Scald to 150 degrees. Let cool until lukewarm (~45 minutes). Sprinkle in yeast and let sit. Then add 4 C flour, stir mixture together. Cover and let sit for one hour.

Add 1/2 C flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir mixture together.

Divide the dough in half. Sprinkle surface generously with flour and form into a rectangle, roll the dough thin, maintaining a rectangular shape. Spread half of the blueberry filling onto the dough. Sprinkle half of the additional blueberries for sprinkling on top. Roll the dough toward you. Pinch the seam to seal it. Grease foil cake or pie pans. Cut rolls 3/4 to 1 inch thick and lay in greased pans. Repeat with other half of dough and blueberry filling.

Cover the rolls and let sit for 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 15 to 18 minutes.

Generously drizzle frosting over warm rolls after they come out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment